The most advance and critical part of your computer is “hard drive” independent of the OS you are working upon. You love to keep all important data in hard drive but after few months you find your machine running sluggishly. The very obvious reason of such a fall in performance, is fragmentation of hard drive due to which the fragmented data scattered over disk. Windows users can defrag their drive via desk defragmenter but , there is no such app for Mac users. Luckily, Stellar has made an awesome tool for them called Stellar Drive Defrag' to defrag Mac drive.
However, HFS+ is the new Mac file system and it has the ability to minimize the chances of fragmentation of files up to 20 MB size. But, it doesn't work on large files so you need any third party tool to defrag all large files and increase the productivity of your Mac system.
Stellar Drive Defrag is an advanced and a risk free solution for fragmented Mac volume. It defrags your entire Mac or any selected volume to optimize your Mac hard drive. It is compatable with the latest Mac OS 'Mountain Lion' and all legacy Mac Operating Systems like Tiger, Leopard etc.
Features of Stellar Drive Defrag:-
- It can effectively defrag all large files presents in Mac drive along with the metadata files.
- It can defrags drive by organizing the scattered or distributed free space.
- It works on single large file as well as on entire Mac volume or drive.
- It helps to create Mac bootable DVD to defrag the boot volume.
- It supports Mac OS X 10.8 Mountain Lion.
- Temperature bar to display the status of hard drive temperature during defragmentation.
- Email notification after completion of task.
The Free Edition of this tool helps to scan your entire Mac hard drive and show you the status of your Mac hard drive with fragmented data. The latest version of this tool is 2.5 which has many advance features like you can see the temperature fluctuations during defragmentation and set email notification after the completion of defragmentation. For paid version you need $39.
System Requirements:Processor: Intel, PowerPC(G3 or later).
Memory: 256 MB RAM.
Hard Disk: 40 MB free space.
Operating System: Mac OS X 10.3.9 and above i.e. including Mac OS X 10.5 & Snow Leopard, Mountain Lion.
Pros:-This software is very effecient, easy to use and very cheap.
Cons:-Need bootable DVD to defrag boot volume.